Thursday, December 1, 2016

wonderment moments

" I won't describe what I look Like, whatever you're thinking it's probably worse… "
August, a ten-year-old boy, was born with a facial deformity. He is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary face. After undergoing many operations as a child, and being homeschooled by his mom, August can finally go to school for the first time. however, he has to cope with different reactions to his unusual appearance.

Wonder, by R.L. Palacio is a wonderful story you won't want to miss.
The writer of this book has crafted an uplifting story where one minute you're laughing and the next you find yourself wiping tears from your eyes. R.J Palacio has a way of showing love, support and people's judgement on their appearance in a funny and a touching manner, which gives you a lot of food for thought.

This book is written in a very different way from other books I have read. Every chapter gives you a different character's perspective of life moments they share with August, like August's sister, her boyfriend and August's classmates. Some events are told by different characters from a different point of view on the same situation. It makes you think about the same situation differently and in a different perspective. These perspectives show the struggle of society with empathy, compassion and acceptance.


This book is a very good book for discussion in class about all of these subjects and it is suitable for readers of all levels and grade. I myself have read this book a couple of times, and every time I like it even more. It is full of hope, friendship and kindness. Our children can earn a lot from reading it.

19 comments:

  1. It sound like an interesting book.
    Thank you Einat

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds interesing and important. However, I don't like books which disscus the same situation from several points of view, since they confuse and irritate me, I can never decide who's right and who's wrong.

    This book reminds me of the book "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time", which also deals with the issue of a boy who is different than others. Great book, by the way. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? On the contrary, I like those books (but can't think of any at the moment) where the story is told from different points of view, and each one sheds new light on the same events.

      Delete
  3. It sounds a very interesting book!!! I enjoy reading your review. I like books with different perspectives.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like a great book! Thank you for sharing. By the way, I like the way you described the book. You made me curious about reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arbel, You should read it , it's great for teaching in class, in any grade.

      Delete
  5. Hi Einat,
    Thank you for the review. I always see "Wonder" on the book shelf of the best-sellers when I go into book-stores, but for some reason I never baught it, maybe there was always something that I wanted more.
    Maybe next time I'll buy it, it sounds like a book that's worth having on my private book-shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tova, You should definitely have it at home, and it has been the best seller for a while. They might be a movie soon, but read the book first.

      Delete
  6. Einat, I really like books that describe different points of view. It's interesting to see how each person looks different on the same reality. Id reminds me of "The Affair", a great Television series which is written with a great sensitivity. Anyway the sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sigal, I have'nt seen "Tha Affair", sounds interesting, If I see it I'll remember what you said.

      Delete
  7. Wow. I'm going to buy this book for sure. I' have never read a book which describes situation from different perspectives, I'm sure I'm going to live it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Einat, your description of this book is very accuret!
    I baught it for my 15 years old daughter, she finished it whithin a day. She then passed it to her 13 years ols sister who also "swallowed" the book in two days. The biggest proof to- how good this book is, is my 10 years old son who got so engaged with "wonder" that he prefered to spend his "screen time" on reading this book, and he is not such a reader...
    Now I'm reading it as a bed time story to my two youngsters and we enjoy it a lot...
    Highly recomended!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Edith, It's the same in my house. My two daughters ,16,14 years old both read it in English, they loved it and even did a book report on it, and they don't ever read books for fun. My youngest, 10 year old daughter, wants me to buy it in hebrew, so she can read it too. I read it to my students in all the grades I teach. It is a "wonder" book.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Edith, It's the same in my house. My two daughters ,16,14 years old both read it in English, they loved it and even did a book report on it, and they don't ever read books for fun. My youngest, 10 year old daughter, wants me to buy it in hebrew, so she can read it too. I read it to my students in all the grades I teach. It is a "wonder" book.

      Delete
    3. I have also read the book and found it a good read. Elizabeth

      Delete
  9. How long is the book? And how do you teach it in class? Do you have all the kids read it at home and discuss it together in class, or does the reading also happen in class? I'm always looking for good ideas, and this seems like a perfect topic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read "Wonder" about a year ago, and I enjoyed the reading so much! Great review on the book :-)

    ReplyDelete