Wednesday, December 28, 2016

If you want anything (perfectly) done, ask a woman

Yes, I brazenly stole words spoken by the Iron Lady, and yes, I totally chose to use them out of context. Some of you hate me by now (like my husband), and some of you are probably eagerly sitting on the edges of your seats, wondering what’s coming.



Today, I would like to introduce you to Gillian Flynn, a woman author who has managed to leave no reader (male or female) indifferent. Her specialty: taking the female villain to a whole new level.

Image result


Flynn has so far authored three wildly successful books “Dark Places”, “Sharp Objects” and “Gone Girl”. In all three of her books, Gillian Flynn manages to unnerve the reader with highly disturbed and twisted female characters. Her heroines do not come in pretty packages, and maternal instincts are seldom included. Even her “good gals” are selfish, dark, damaged and acutely aware of abusing their powers for highly questionable purposes.


Feminists have had a lot of trouble with Flynn’s writing, because, as a “self-acclaimed feminist" herself, she never misses an opportunity to create a truly wicked female villain. Flynn claims that her dark and twisted heroines only try to even a field dominated by male villains, thus helping womankind achieve the much-coveted ideal of gender equality.


Whether you want to get in on the controversy or not is up to you, but her writing is gripping, her stories are unpredictable and highly addictive. I can’t wait to read her next masterpiece.

If this post grabbed your attention, get more of the good stuff by following this link.

Image result for gillian flynn books

13 comments:

  1. First of all I want to say that I really like your style of writing. It's true that usually female characters are "little miss perfects", and it's refreshing to see different types of women who shatter this image. I'll give her books a try:)

    Coral

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment ;) you can start with "Gone Girl" which has been made into a movie. You can see the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3LB0lOJ0o

      Delete
    2. A stylishly disturbing and gripping movie! I don't know whether it's the genius of David Fincher (director) or the source material.

      Delete
    3. Hi Esther,
      I'd like to join Coral and say that the first thing I noticed is your writing style, which I really like. The books sound very interesting, too...

      Delete
  2. Hello Esther
    It is always nice to be introduced to new books and writers.
    sounds interesting /will deffiniatley try it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther,

    this sounds very interesting. Are her books translated to Hebrew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo, the movie is fairly close to the book, so I guess it is the product of combined talents. Flynn is a great writer. I just watched another movie adapted from another one of her books "Dark Places", it is also great. You can watch the trailer on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJjy2cZeLk
    Shiri, her books have been translated into Hebrew, check this out:
    http://www.am-oved.co.il/page_1577

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feminist issues always captures my attention. You made me really curious whether I'll agree with the author perspective or with the feminists perspective. I'm about to check it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther - just your opening phrase made me want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your recommendation. I'll add it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Esther--finally a woman empowered by evil instead of one of those sniveling, virtuous do-gooders. I have to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe villains are so much more glamorous than good guys. Look at the Disney movies, Ursula has so much more pizzazz than Ariel. It's like the subtext really encourages us to be the bad guys... In Flynn's literature everyone is human, she does absolutely nothing to conceal anybody's shortcomings, even her movies lack the usual "Hollywood" factor, making them -in my opinion- all the more riveting. She plays with the fine lines and really twists the reader's nerves, I think beneath her innocent look, she possesses quite a brilliant mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfkkMHieqcI Look how glorious she is!

    ReplyDelete