Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Be'er Sheva - The Historical Sites That You Can't Miss!


I have decided to give you, the readers, a brief historical overview of my beautiful hometown- Be'er Sheva, because I'm sure that most of you haven't got the chance to read about it. Be'er sheva, the capital of the Negev, is filled with a variety of attractions, historical sites and antiquities. Over the years the city has developed and become a tourist city. Be'er Sheva is first mentioned in the most ancient book of the world, the Bible, and had different rulers throughout thousands of years of its history. In each of these periods of time, the leaders built impressive buildings, which are preserved till these days. Most of these sites are located in the old city, characterized by a unique and ancient landscape. In my opinion, there are two special sites with a special history that you don't want to miss.


  
The first site is Abraham’s Well, which is located on the banks of Beer-Sheva's River. According to the Bible, Abraham himself dug this well. The well provided the solution for watering the sheep in Abraham's days. It was used as a source of water until the War of Independence. In this site you will be exposed to the story of Abraham. Nowadays, you can visit the visitors' center, which includes a three-dimensional presentation, pieces of art, an interesting tour and of course the well itself. All of these make the new center a unique site, and the visitors feel part of the experience. I consider it as one of the symbols of my city, and if you have never been there- it's like you have never been in Be'er Sheva.


The second site is the old Turkish train station, located in the old city as well. The track was built by the Turkish, and inaugurated in October 1915 with an impressive ceremony attended by the dignitary leaders of that time. In 1927 it was decided to close the last line due to lack of profitability. Recently the station reopened as a cultural, art and leisure complex. You can find there a mini museum of Israel Railways, an original Turkish Locomotive, workshops for children, information and souvenirs cart, chef restaurant, coffee house, a gallery for temporary exhibitions, guided tours and more. I love this place because it offers many entertainment options for all ages.


These sites are only a fraction of the list of historical sites in Be'er Sheva which is abundant in tourist attractions, major shopping centers, museums for children, a science park and other various places of interest. The southern city, my city, has only recently begun to attract the attention of tourists, and it just continues to grow and develop. My promise is that you will not regret for a moment visiting the recommended sites. Come visit Be'er Sheva, and all of your prejudice about this beautiful city- will fade away!



10 comments:

  1. Wow you made me want to come visit Be'er Sheva! I didn't know there's so much history to this city. The cites look very nice. I'll come visit someday soon:)

    Coral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be my tour guide? The only thing I know about Beer Sheva is that it has a medical school... Almost went there years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to! Be'er Sheva is an amazing city! It's such a shame that you don't know it. You have to come :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Tom,
    The sites you told us sound very interesting and entertaining places!! I hope in my available time to visit there and enjoy from traveling !!!
    😊Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tom,
    your post is really original and interesting. I enjoyed it and I learned a lot of things I didn't know about Be'er Sheva!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOm - I think it's great that you are so positive about the city in which you grew up. You could be a local tour guide, as you have both the knowledge and the English to do it! (It would be a waste of a good teacher, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great review! I'll definitely visit these place, the next time I'm in Be'er Sheva.

    ReplyDelete