Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Not Rocket Science

My mother and I wanted to go out to the movies together. "Let's go watch something that's worth watching at the cinema, instead of downloading at home like we always do", I said, and my mother had the perfect movie in mind; "Let's go to Hidden Figures', I think it fits perfectly to what you want." I read the synopsis and I understood that the plot revolves around NASA and mathematics... Not exactly my cup of tea.


I couldn't have been more wrong! My mother was so right! It is indeed an amazing movie, which tells the story of three black mathematicians women: Catherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson. This is a true story and a true record of what happened to these women. The movie opens in 1926, and presents those three brilliant schoolgirls, and continues 30 years later when they are already working in NASA labs, but are left behind, while racial segregation dominates the United States and discriminates against people, especially women of color. Although the three of them faced many challenges, they succeed in breaking social conventions and get the respect that they deserve.



I found myself emotionally involved with the characters due to brilliant acting and the fascinating plotline. The compelling movie illustrates clearly and unambiguously the conflicts between blacks and whites and women and men. It made me wonder about the society we live in nowadays. Is our society really free from these kinds of bias? Does discrimination still exist and why? It made me wonder what I, as a human being, can do to make this world a better place.

Although the movie was produced on a low budget, it managed to gain millions due to memorable acting, a fascinating storyline, a mesmerizing soundtrack and amazing directing work.

Now know I shouldn't have been skeptical about this movie, why it got so many great reviews and has become as a blockbuster around the world. I would strongly encourage you not to miss it!

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many praising reviews about this movie. I'm definitely going to watch it. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds inspiring! I remember when it got nominated for the Oscars. I'll watch it after the semester ends, when I'll get my life back haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I've never heard of this movie. I presume it came out last year if, as Coral says, it was already nominated for Oscars

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!! It sounds like an amazing movie!!! I think you liked this movie because it shows strong independent women like you. I will definitely try to watch it when I have the chance. Thank you for the review

    ReplyDelete