Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The legendary performer - Asaf Avidan



I remember when I heard Asaf Avidan for the first time back in 2008. It took no more than few minutes for me to predict that this talented musician/creator/performer is going to be known world wise. Back then, he was singing with the Mojos in small bars mainly in Jerusalem his home town. Today, after separating himself from the mojos he enjoys an extremely successful solo career. Assaf presents a wide range of feelings and views with guitar, harmonica, and various percussion instruments. But above all, stand out, of course, a unique voice, brilliant lyrics and charismatic performance.

As I predicted almost ten years ago, Asaf's international success was meteoric, he appears in halls that contain four thousand seats, and tickets are sold out.
I saw him for the first time when he was singing with the Mojos, on "Earth day" in Tel- Aviv 2009. It was a great concert, I also liked the combination of Asaf and the band. Eight years past and Asaf relist two solo albums: "Different pulses" and "Gold shadow". He performs on his own and I was lucky to see him twice, a year and a half ago and last December, both shows took place at the Mann auditorium in Tel- Aviv. His solo shows are very different than those he did with the Mojos, but they succeeded to reveal more layers of talent and intelligence in this skinny young man.  His solo tour was called "Into the Labyrinth" and the show last December was the one that closed that tour. It is simply amazing to see him, and I'll do my best to describe it:    Behind him is a quiver of guitars, including a lap steel and a four-string gas can. Each time he swaps one for another, he’s able to shift seamlessly from country western vibes to Spanish vibes, to Yemenite and Moroccan vibes (I guess it has something to do with growing up here the country of this huge ingathering of the exiles). But where Asaf begins to pass the threshold of talent and enter into the realm of genius is when he uses the drum machine and the sound board to start looping and layering in real-time a background of beats, guitar licks, and his own voice. All of a sudden, he’s his own orchestra. Brilliant.
One more thing I must say I adore about him is his genius use of words. He uses outstanding poetic devices and I am going to use his songs in my future English tutoring! Clever metaphors, similes and genius use of etymology of words and assosiations of myths (check "The Labyrinth Song").
Unfortunately, I don’t think there are shows in Israel this summer, but if by chance you are travelling to France he gives four concerts during March… For any of you guys who only know "the reckoning song" I suggest you visit his formal cite  http://www.asafavidanmusic.com/ you can check this legendary artist there, he gives us viewers a pick on most of his songs played in his unique way.







9 comments:

  1. Hi Edith,
    Thank you for writing this post. I've actually heard a few of Asaf Avidan's songs and noticed his special voice and huge musical talent, but never bothered to look into the lyrics of his songs (I'll admit I can't understand some of it).
    It was an interesting post, and I'm going to look for more of his songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tova for your comment.
      Asaf's lyrics arn't eazy to understand. I must read it and usually define the words I don't understand, but when you do you discover his deapth. The labyrinth song for example can't be understood if you are not familiar with the Labytinth myth. It's worth the efort of exploring his meanings!

      Delete
  2. Edith..
    It was a pleasure to read your review. I know Assaf Avidan, and I agree with you that he is a great performer and musician. He is very talented, and I love his songs. The lyrics are very meaningful and create a harmony with the melody. I think each written song has some hidden thoughts and relations to the writer.

    Thanks for your review. 😊
    Noa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Edith, I heard Avidan's music and it's amazing! Thanks SO much for introducing him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your review! For some reason, I don't like his music style, but it just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked out the songs you posted and he's cool! I especially liked the metaphors in "band bang", and the line where he says "I love you like death loves a man", it's interesting! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He certainly has a unique voice. What was that song with a cowboy theme in the accompanying video?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Edith! He's not bad at all. I appreciate he's unique style. Generally I'm really fond of folk-rock, and he has a touch of folk in him. Also style wise – he has a cool style. I think he is a good example of the phrase "no prophet in his own land" – I think he is not appreciated and acknowledged as he should be in the Israeli radio and media – because it's hard for people to be happy for another person's success when it is such a massive success…

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of him, and listened to few songs of his. he really does have a special voice.

    ReplyDelete