Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Have you seen my Niffler?


Most of us have encountered the "Harry Potter" series by J.K.Rowling at least once in our lives. Whether if we've read the books or seen the movies, we shared an amazing journey with Harry, Ron and Hermione. But although this journey ended a long time ago, a new journey with Mr. Newt Scamander has just begun!


"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is a new magical spin-off movie of the Harry Potter franchise. It takes place back in 1926, way before Harry was even born, and deals with adult characters living in an adult world. (So even if you've lived under a rock and somehow missed the whole Harry Potter phenomenon, you can join now!)

Our protagonist is the cute, awkward, magic-zoologist Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne, who comes to New York on a mission, driven by his fascination with magical creatures. As he arrives, he smuggles a suitcase that growls, hisses and rattles. Yes, you've guessed it right- it's filled with magical beasts, which are outlawed in the US magical world. But Newt is a gentle soul, a different type of hero. He is a shy man who feels more comfortable around creatures than humans. He believes that even the most scary animals are good if only they're treated with love and respect. (Can we say the same about human beings?)

Niffler - A creature with a long snout and a coat of black, fluffy fur.
Nifflers are attracted to shiny things, which makes them wonderful for locating treasures.

After losing his suitcase and chasing his greedy yet adorable Niffler around the city, he realizes that some of his animals broke loose from the suitcase. Newt finds himself on a double hunt; retrieving his beasts back safely, and searching for a mysterious power that threatens to destroy New York. Newt has to avoid the magical police force that hunts him and his magical creatures, and keep his affairs hidden from the eyes of no-majs ("muggles", non-magical people) in order to not blow up the cover of the magical community.

At first sight, "Fantastic Beasts" may seem like a simple movie, but its themes are far from that. It's a film about immigrants who may seem foreign but are, in fact, like us - different people with different values and ideas. It raises the question of one's identity, and it's about embracing your unique qualities and holding your head high.


14 comments:

  1. BEST.ENGLISH.EVER. no, but seriously, the language in this post is way cool. The movie sounds cute too. If your'e in to that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maya!
      And... does it mean that you don't like fantasy / fiction genre? :(

      Delete
  2. Hi Coral,
    I've watched the movie and likes it very much. As a Harry Potter fan I grab anything new that has anything to do with the original series.
    I like your writing, it was an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you liked it (the movie and my writing haha.)
      If you're a "potterhead", try reading "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" play. It wasn't written by JK but it's nice!

      Delete
  3. I loved your review, it is really well written! Now I want to own a Niffler, so it can get me enough gold to retire and enjoy life 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds exactly like the kind of movie I want to see with my children.
    Where is it playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't play anymore, but I can give you a link to download it / watch it online:)

      Delete
  5. It sounds a very fascinating movie!! Thanks for your recommendation.. I absolutely would watch it in my leisure time.
    Noa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your review. I saw the movie, when it just came out, and it was AMAZING! Eddie Redmayne is an excellent actor. Great Review! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Eddie too! And I'm really glad you enjoyed my review!:)

      Delete
  7. Hi. I saw a trailer of this movie at the cinema and your blog reminded me that I wanted to watch it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete