Monday, May 8, 2017

A day in my daughter’s life


A year ago, when Eden, my youngest daughter was on her final school year, she announced her intention to volunteer for a year before going to the army. The organization of her choice was AMICHAI – a parent based organization which is aimed at children and adults with mental disabilities. I had mixed feelings about her decision. On the one hand, I couldn’t be prouder of her. She was clearly following in her sister’s and my footsteps. On the other hand, at that point in time my daughter was very childish and knowing what it was like to work with people with disabilities, I was afraid for her delicate soul. Little did I know!



I followed my daughter evolve from a shy and introverted person to a selfless dedicated person. She was so enthusiastic about her work. I set out to see firsthand what she does. The time is 8:00 am and Eden is at AMICHAI’s day center. That is the place where adults with mental disabilities come every day and join their peers from the Sharon area in rehabilitative, occupational and social activities. Some of them are twice the age of Eden. She and her friends take charge of their pre-assigned duties with endless love. The time is 12.00 noon. Eden and her friends take a break. They eat lunch and set off to their next assignment with pre-school 3 year old children in an after-school activity. To my dismay, they are the only adults on the premises excluding the secretary, and carry the full weight of the responsibility over those young special needs children. I am pleasantly surprised to see how they perform their duties. They know exactly how to work with the children and how to maneuver from one activity to another. The time is 6:00 pm and parents start showing up to take their children home. Eden introduces me to the parents. Her eyes are glowing with pride as she introduces me. Eden’s introduction moved me but not as much as watching the parents’ eyes glow with love and appreciation at the sight of my daughter..

As I drove back home I thought of the day I had experienced and was thankful for my blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your daughter is amazing! So much appreciation for what she does. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely blessed with Eden!

    ReplyDelete